Making mathematics fun is quite challenging for educators. But, it is not. There are tons of ways in which mathematics can be made easy and fun for kids.Making math learning easy for kids is important at home as it can make the kids confident without worrying about learning and developing the feeling of anxiety towards the subject. Here is the ultimate list of different ways in which math learning can be made fun and simple as well as still educational for kids:
- Using the right picture books: Picture books are the best way to make the kids understand numbers. When the educators at home use picture books for kids, they will help the kids in better learning ways. There are tons of picture books in the market that can be used for kids to learn mathematics. Educators can easily find the picture books, such as for multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, tables, and more for kids to learn the subject. Educators can help the kids to read aloud from the picture book. Along with learning from a picture book, reading aloud can be a plus point in learning math.
- Playing games related to math: Games is the best way to build a strong mindset towards learning. And when it comes to kids, which kid will not like playing games? No one. Not a single kid. Games are the way of life for kids, and incorporating them into learning can bring the interest of students in math learning. Whether it is a printable game, digital game, or outdoor game, everything can work with kids. These are the perfect way of learning, as well as fun for kids. There is an array of games related to mathematics available in the market that educators can choose for their kids.
- Asking interesting questions related to math: Ask kids what they think about math rules and concepts in an interesting way to grab their attention and bring it to learning. Every kid likes to talk because they get to speak their mind. Make sure that the questions are open-ended. For example, you can ask the kids that Why they used a specific method to solve a question? or why they think that multiplying 5 and 3 can be the right equation for a question? Kids will be eager and curious to find and answer such questions. Let these conversations take time while studying the math block.
- Implement the right engaging routine: Repetition is not a bad thing in learning. Sometimes the educators at home need to repeat a few things in order to make kids understand. Have you ever noticed that kids love a routine? Though, sometimes it makes them angry. But a few repetitions will have them maximize their learning. With the help of the right techniques, it will maximize their learning as the students are aware of the set expectations. As long as the educators make the routine engaging, the students will be hooked to the learning process.
- Use real objects for learning: We remember the lessons from school and at home that used real objects more rather than just word of mouth to teach a concept. And your kids can get the same from you. Educators can be innovative when teaching their kids. Educators can use multiple creative ways for geometry, graphing, measurement, addition, and other topics. Like you can use apples or watermelons to teach the kids addition and subtraction.
- Drawing math models: Drawing is educational as well as fun. CPA or Concrete Pictorial Abstract is what educators should truly believe in. It is because when educators use it in learning then the kids first start manipulating the solid model and move on to drawing these models with the help of pictorial representations. And lastly, they start using mathematical symbols and concepts, and this is abstract for the kids. As an educator, give the kids tons of opportunities to draw pictorial representations of the subject. This is the best way to see if the kids are grabbing the concepts or not.
- Include cooperative learning with math manipulation: Yes, math manipulatives are for every kid. Create an environment around your kid where a group of kids or a few kids can learn together. This will help them to hold each other accountable after solving the questions in different ways. And most importantly, it will help them to enjoy learning with their friends. Also, including math manipulatives in the learning of kids can be beneficial for them. It is important to teach the kids conceptual learning. And for kids, being a master of concepts is important to master the subject. If the kids are not given math manipulatives at school, use them at home for their better education.
Education starts from everyone’s home. So, taking steps for their education is quite important for parents as well. Above mentioned ways can be used by parents as well as other educators for teaching kids effectively. Make kids smart from an early age so that they can make their way for a bright future.