What is the Numerical Reasoning Test?
Numerical Reasoning Test is such type of test which analyses the psychometric development of the applicant. Commonly used for recruitment process at the application stage, it is designed to test the applicant’s numerical aptitude via a series of problem-oriented questions whose sole focus is on interpretation, analysis and drawing conclusions from various sets of data. This test is also normally paired with other psychometric tests, including verbal reasoning tests, situational judgement tests and personality tests. A numerical reasoning test is an indicator of how successfully an applicant will be able to apply numerical understanding in a more realistic context. Unlike other standardized arithmetic tests, which show an applicant’s ability to listen and apply various techniques based on a regulated syllabus.
Get Free Consultation Now!
The applicant may be required to give a numerical reasoning test if he/she is interested in applying for a job in a mathematics-based sector, such as finance, marketing or insurance. General percentages, fractions, averages and arithmetic are the most common topics of a numerical reasoning test, but the main aim of the test is to assess the applicant’s knowledge about statistical information. Numerical Reasoning Tests have also become a common mode of testing for jobs in data interpretation, numerical analysis, for example jobs that cover marketing, finance and HR sector.
Need for Numerical Reasoning Test:
Numerical Reasoning Tests have gained popularity in today’s day and age as the COVID-19 stricken economy has transformed the global job scenario. From lay-offs that may happen any time to entire department operations being shut down, the job market has become extremely competitive. Also, these types of tests provide a convenient mode of narrowing down candidates for a job as they can easily shortlist candidates who score higher marks as compared to those who have scored low. The tests designed by the recruiters for the candidates are based on the type of job they have applied for, like determining material quantities and estimating profit margins.
Numerical Reasoning Tests give employers a good indication of how an applicant would perform in their respective jobs they have applied for. Also, an added benefit to taking this test that the employers use these tests to separate candidates with promise from those who would struggle with their everyday tasks. They are also a good indicator of how well candidates perform under pressure. Employers wish to know that applicants can perform given any problem or circumstance. Since these type of tests are taken on a timer and under a specific time period, they give a fair idea as to the applicant’s ability to draw accurate conclusions and interpret data at a designated speed.
How can you improve your Numerical Reasoning Test?
There are many ways through which you can improve your Numerical Reasoning Test score. They are enumerated as follows:-
- Realize it’s not easy:- Let’s face it, we can coax our minds into thinking that these tests are easy, but it is time we realize that numerical tests come with their fair share of difficulty. Numerical tests are not easy. Even though you may have prepared for the arithmetic share of the test, exam nerves can get in the way. So, this realization can help you get out of your own head and you can focus on your betterment.
- Check up on the test provider:- Before you go on to give your test check up on the test provider and the type of test publisher they use, as this will determine the nature of your assessment. If you now the test type of your assessment then you can practice safely for the same beforehand.
- Get into basic arithmetic:- Brushing up on basic arithmetic will give the much needed boost you wish to have in the test. The ability to work quickly and accurately with fractions, ratios, percentages and decimals will be of great help.
- Do practice questions:- There is a saying, ‘ Practice makes perfect’. So, in order to perfect your practical questions in the test, start practicing questions on a daily basis. Read them carefully and answer accordingly.
- Pay close attention to detail:- Whenever you are subjected to great pressure in which you may miss vital information, so don’t adopt a hurried approach and scan every question carefully and after much needed thought, attempt the questions.
Good pacing comes with daily practice, so make use of time given to you ahead of the test, so that you can attempt the questions on the day of the test carefully and with much needed thought. After adopting the above mentioned techniques in your daily regimen and during your test, you can be sure that these tips will lead you to achieving excellent scores in this test.