It is the end of the school year. But you are nearing your final exams and the pressure is on. From now until December, all of your efforts will be focused on passing tests like AP Calculus BC or the SAT with flying colors. If you have apprehensions about taking these crucial exams, you are not alone because most people feel some form of anxiety when they have to take high-stakes tests in front of their parents, an intimidating teacher, and other peers.
For many students, this stage of the school year is accompanied by numerous physical manifestations of anxiety. They may experience muscle tension, nausea, headaches, or develop a need to fidget constantly. They might also experience feelings of fear and worry about how they will perform on test day.
In fact, studies show that over 90% of students consider taking a high-stakes exam to be stressful. As many as 75% admit to feeling nervous during an exam, with two out of every three students suffering from test anxiety.
However, while these feelings may be common for students, they are actually just symptoms of an anxiety disorder called test-taking anxiety or test phobia. If left untreated, it can have serious negative consequences on one’s performance in school and career.
Putting the Test Behind You
Test anxiety is a complex condition that affects both girls and boys of all ages. While it is often associated with people who struggle with learning disabilities or dyslexia, it can also afflict students who are blessed with outstanding intellect. In fact, some studies show that most adults diagnosed with test anxiety were not diagnosed as children.
Fortunately, testing anxiety can be managed and treated with the right combination of proven cognitive behavioral therapy techniques. However, while studying for exams and taking practice tests is essential in the treatment process, it should not be the primary focus.
While a degree of stress is common among students during this time of year, it is important to recognize that test-taking anxiety can have more severe outcomes. Currently, only 25% of those diagnosed with test anxiety receive some form of treatment for their condition. As such, it is important to seek help early on so that you can deal with your anxieties before they become lifelong problems.
The Positive Approach
The good news is that you can learn how to manage your test anxiety. For starters, you can change the way you prepare for exams by avoiding the negative thoughts that cause such anxiety. In this regard, associating certain test-taking situations with positive and beneficial experiences could help in breaking bad habits in the future.
You could also consider going through some formal exercises to help build your confidence before the exam. These activities have been shown to be effective in helping people who suffer from test anxiety. They could also help improve your focus and concentration during a school exam or a job interview.
Although many students who suffer from test anxiety are not able to overcome it, there are always ways to manage their condition. If you have questions about test anxiety or how to overcome it, talk to your doctor or a professional therapist.
Tips that can help you get rid of your exam anxiety once and for all:
* Learn how to develop coping strategies and how to cope with test anxiety
* Learn how to deal with the thoughts that make you anxious before you go into an exam
* Learn the steps you need to take to pass a test or course
* Learn coping strategies that will help in dealing with exam anxiety and stress
1) If you are going to an unfamiliar place, such as a town for the first time, take lots of notes so that it will be easy for you to recall them in your mind when needed. One can also ask someone who has been there before for information. Keep in mind that taking notes means learning things thoroughly by heart, which is a great way of studying. Your memory will then be more effective when it comes to an exam.
2) If you are not feeling well the day before the exam, try to focus on some light reading just in case you feel tired during the exam. But remember that it is still crucial for you to get sufficient sleep so that your mind can function at a high level for the whole duration of the test.
3) Try to make sure that you have all your reference materials ready when it’s almost time for the test. It would also be a good idea to take a quick review of what is going to be covered in the test itself, so as not to waste time on materials that are not part of the examination.
4) Don’t be shy! Feel free to ask the test administrator, or the proctors, if there is anything at all that you do not understand or that you would like clarified. The only way you can get the most out of the experience is to do your very best!
The Importance of taking an anxiety test for students to cope with exam anxiety
1) Anxiety test could be designed to help you rate your anxiousness on a scale of 0-10. It will also record the frequency, duration, and intensity of your anxiety. Simply click on the button below and we will send your free and confidential anxiety test over email.
2) Once you have completed the anxiety test, we’ll analyze it for you and give you a list of things that might be causing your anxiety. We will also explain how to effectively overcome those problems so that they do not happen again in the future.
3) You’ll be able to know your anxiety levels and the possible causes which will help you cope easily with your exam anxiety. Also, it will provide you a profile based on your responses, which will give an insight of your strengths and help identify other areas that could use some improvement.
4) You’ll be able to know your anxiety levels and the possible causes which will help you cope easily with your exam anxiety. Also, it will provide you a profile based on your responses, which will give an insight of your strengths and help identify other areas that could use some improvement.
5) Anxiety test could be designed to help you rate your anxiousness on a scale of 0-10. It will also record the frequency, duration, and intensity of your anxiety. Simply click on the button below and we will send your free and confidential anxiety test over email.
This way with the help of an anxiety test you will be able to overcome the fear of failure and you will be able to appear in your exams without any fear.