Knowledge Base

Most Useful Content for Parents, Teachers & Students

SAT Mathematics Syllabus!!!!!

The first step to score good marks in SAT is to understand the syllabus and format of SAT examination. One can easily conquer SAT if he has proper approach to attempt the test. So here is the perfect guide, syllabus, format and tips to crack it. SAT mathematics format The mathematics section of SAT consists of two parts. First section will include mathematics problems in which there will be no use of calculator .It will be a 25 minute section. After a short break, the student will move on to the section of 55 minutes in which the student will be allowed to use calculator.

The mathematics section includes four content areas – Heart of algebra, problem solving and data analysis, passport to advanced mathematics and additional topics in mathematics. The first three topics describe about 90% of the SAT mathematics. The remaining 10% are simply called additional topics as they include trigonometry, complex numbers, geometry, etc.

Apart from the access to the calculator, you will be provided with a reference sheet for geometry for both the sections given as-

 

After introduction of the pattern of the SAT syllabus, let’s move on to the topics of mathematics.

SAT Mathematics Topics

  1. Heart of algebra

The heart of algebra includes following topics-

  • Solving linear equations and linear inequalities (in these expressions, x is a constant or the product of a constant)
  • Interpreting linear functions
  • Linear inequality and equation word problems
  • Graphing linear equations
  • Linear function word problems
  • Systems of linear inequalities word problems
  • Solving systems of linear equations
  1. Passport to advanced mathematics

While the heart of algebra includes linear equations, the passport to advanced mathematics includes nonlinear expressions. These includes following topics-

  • Solving quadratic equations
  • Interpreting nonlinear expressions
  • Quadratic and exponential word problems
  • Radicals and rational exponents
  • Operations with rational expressions and polynomials
  • Polynomial factors and graphs
  • Nonlinear equation graphs
  • Linear and quadratic systems
  • Structure in expressions
  • Isolating quantities
  • Functions
  1. Problem solving and data analysis

This section includes ratios, rates, percentage and data that needed to be extracted and interpreted from graphs and tables.

  • Ratios, rates, and proportions
  • Percents
  • Units
  • Table data
  • Scatter plots
  • Key features of graphs
  • Linear and exponential growth
  • Data inferences
  • Center, spread, and shape of distributions
  • Data collection and conclusions
  1. Additional topics

90% of the syllabus of SAT mathematics include heart of algebra, passport to advanced mathematics and problem solving and data analysis. The remaining 10% of the topics include following sub topics-

  • Volume word problems
  • Right triangle word problems
  • Congruence and similarity
  • Right triangle geometry
  • Angles, arc lengths, and trig functions
  • Circle theorems
  • Circle equations
  • Complex numbers

Tips and Tricks

  1. Go through the syllabus thoroughly again and again unless and until you understand each of the topics and sub topics which are coming in an Examination.

  2. Prepare a SWOT analysis in order to understand what your strong and weak topics are.

  3. Make strategies and timetable in order to allocate the time to each and every topic.

  4. Make a separate formula notebook and color code each formula and topic.

  5. Use colorful sticky notes to write formula and paste it on mirror and revise it daily.

  6. Revise whatever you studied at the end of day.

  7. Relate mathematical formula to real world in order to understand the topic Very well.

  8. Practice and practice as practice makes a man perfect.